This project is read-only.

DinnerNow.net 2.5 dependency checker problem

Topics: Setup / Configuration
Feb 12, 2008 at 6:57 AM
Hi,

I've now uninstalled the DinnerNow 2.0 application and installed the DinnerNow 2.5 .msi but have run into a problem when the dependency checker runs.

It now tell's me i do not have SQL Express 2005 installed. This is incorrect, in fact the 2.0 dependency checker must have passed it since i had DinnerNow db's :-)

Can you let me know what's its really checking and i'll try to make my installation / configuration comply with it's requirements.

Many Thanks

John Kattenhorn

Windows Vista (NO SP yet)
SQL2005 Express SP2
VS2008 RTM
Feb 13, 2008 at 1:08 AM
me too
Feb 13, 2008 at 5:02 AM
From memory, the DC checks the registry under the uninstall key for certain software,(HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall - from memory but it should be close - use tab completion in powershell) if SQL Express is installed correctly it should be listed somewhere.

One thing you can try is if you edit the .config file for the DC, look for the SQL Express section and maybe re-word it to match what is installed, or make the text it needs to match smaller (try SQL) you could of course remove entirely the dependency if you are sure it is there, or mark it optional.

Finally, the DC source can be found under the common folder, so you can always check what its doing. (you can also reuse the DC in your own projects if you think it is cool)

shansheng wrote:
me too

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM
edit dc1.exe.config
<dependency dependencyType="Software"
value="Microsoft SQL Server 2005 express"

changed

value="Microsoft SQL Server 2005"
Apr 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2008 at 11:54 AM

shansheng wrote:
edit dc1.exe.config
value="Microsoft SQL Server 2005 express"

changed

value="Microsoft SQL Server 2005"

I'm having the same issue. I tried your suggestion but when I run the installer it just overrides the changes. I installed the advanced version of SQL Express 2005 seperately from Visual Studio 2008 RTM. I'm not really sure how to get this thing installed. Anything else I should try?

Nevermind, i think all I needed to do was not build the dc before making the change. Looks good now. Thanks for the tip!