Static Files not displaying

Topics: Setup / Configuration, Web site
Feb 2, 2007 at 4:37 AM
First of all, I must say that I've been waiting with anticipation to download the Dinner Now application since they demo'ed it at the launch in Spokane. It was very impressive, even for my pro-unix friends. Very well done and thanks for the source code!

I believe that I have the application installed correctly. But I'm having an issue with displaying most static files (.css, .jpg, .gadget, .ico.) on the website. If I manually enter the URL to the images I get a basic/almost empty html file. The interesting thing is that the images in Images/ResterauntLogos display without issue.

In the IIS Manager, I've verified that the Handler Mappings for * is only StaticFile and is enabled.

Is there something else I need to look for?

Thanks,
John
Feb 2, 2007 at 8:54 AM
Can you try setting up a seperate application in IIS7 with a static image or page? Also, did you run the "Start Here for DinnerNow" link on the desktop after running the MSI for the DinnerNow sample?

James Conard
Feb 2, 2007 at 4:54 PM
James,

So far creating a new application has not worked for me, but this is the first time I've used IIS7, so I likely am doing something wrong. I'll keep researching it.

I had not run the Start Here for DinnerNow link. I was following the directions in the readme.xps file. 1) It called for running the RunMe.bat in the scripts/install folder 2) run the services.bat in the scripts folder and 3) Browse to the website.

When I do run the Start Here for DinnerNow I get an error:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets : warning
MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Micro
soft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework". Check to make sure the assemb
ly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compi
lation errors.

I think this points to not having Team Suite installed, but I didn't think this was required unless I wanted to view/customize the source code (per the readme.xps).

Thanks,
John
Feb 2, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Yes, we just noticed that the solution contains the VSTS unit tests. We are working on an updated release now that doesn't require VSTS.

In the meantime, you could simply open up the Dependency Checker solution, remove the unit test project and build and run it without the unit tests.
Feb 5, 2007 at 9:05 PM
After much experimenting over the weekend, it appears that I must have had a "bad" IIS install. After completely removing the IIS components and then deleting the Inetpub folder, I re-installed IIS and the static files are now working.

Thanks.
Feb 6, 2007 at 6:45 AM
Great. Glad to hear that you resolved this issue.