Shell32.ShellClass does not contain a definition for ShellExecute

Topics: Setup / Configuration
Feb 2, 2007 at 3:38 PM
Couple of things.

1. Can't double click on the solution file to open it? I have to open VS2005 and select Open, and browse to it. I've ran across this issue before when Solution files were generated.

2. Receiving the titled error in DC1Gui.cs, line 157

Am I missing something?
Feb 2, 2007 at 5:28 PM
Do you have Windows Powershell installed?

Also which version of Visual Studio do you have installeD?

Thanks

David
Feb 2, 2007 at 5:50 PM
Yes, I have Windows PowerShell 1.0 Installed.

And as for VS, I have Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers installed.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:16 PM
Exactly the same symptoms here.

I too have Powershell 1.0 and Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (8.0.50929.762)
Feb 7, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Do you have the service pack for visual studio installed? I seem to be able to recreate the problem, but its not just dinnernow.net - its any solution on my machine.

Also do you have the RTM of Vista Installed?
Feb 21, 2007 at 12:14 AM
When I try and run the Start Here shortcut on the desktop in opens then closes pretty immedietly. So I found the bat, added a PAUSE at the end, then ran it again.

It seem to hit the error "DependencyViewControl.cs(79,23): error CS0117: 'Shell32.ShellClass' does not contain a definition for ShellExecute" and stops there. Any idea what is happening here?

For info: Running XP MCE, have VS 2005 installed along with Extensions for WPF/WCF & WF, along with the Windows SDK. Have not got Powershell installed.

Thanks in advance.
Martyn
Feb 22, 2007 at 7:34 AM
Looks like we have an undocument dependancy on Vista's shell COM API. You can substitute this line and see if it works:

{(
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(xxx)
}}
Anywhere you get this error.
Feb 26, 2007 at 4:31 AM
DinnerNow.NET Requires either Windows Vista or Longhorn Server. It's not designed to work on XP. The install and setup scripts use the Vista Shell to launch various setup scripts and services with Admin rights, i.e. asking UAC for permissions to run. This the Shell32.ShellClass reference.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:06 AM
Edited Mar 19, 2007 at 5:09 AM
After a bit of trouble, I succeeded in getting the demo to work in XP. Most of the components are available for XP, although unfortunately the installation is heavily geared towards Vista(as the last poster mentioned). The suggestion above WILL work to get the prerequisite tool started, but at least for me, it never thinks PowerShell is installed(probably because the vista and XP versions are a little different). Most of the install scripts are in C:\dinnernow\scripts\Install and can be run manually. The only thing that is a pre-requisite for XP is MMC 3.0, which is included with Vista.

The only part of the application that actually doesn't work from what I can tell is the IIS 7 event handlers. However, that doesn't seem to keep it from running. Even the gadgets work as PowerShell can display them as floating windows instead.

All in all, definitely pretty neat so far!

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:55 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2007 at 4:56 PM
To get the prerequisite tool to recognise whether Windows PowerShell is installed for an operating system other than Vista, you need to change the some attributes in the App.config for the element "dependancy" with the title "Windows PowerShell".

For Windows Server 2003 change the value attribute to "KB926139" and downloadUrl to "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75790&clcid=0x09".

For XP change the value attribute to "KB926139" and downloadUrl to "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75788&clcid=0x09".

Hope this helps.
Jan 8, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Mark,

I'm following in your footsteps - trying to get this up and running on XP and IIS 6.0. I've run into a road block compiling the DinnerNow - Service Portfolio solution. Could you drop some bread crumbs???

Thanks!
Jon

MarkCline wrote:
After a bit of trouble, I succeeded in getting the demo to work in XP. Most of the components are available for XP, although unfortunately the installation is heavily geared towards Vista(as the last poster mentioned). The suggestion above WILL work to get the prerequisite tool started, but at least for me, it never thinks PowerShell is installed(probably because the vista and XP versions are a little different). Most of the install scripts are in C:\dinnernow\scripts\Install and can be run manually. The only thing that is a pre-requisite for XP is MMC 3.0, which is included with Vista.

The only part of the application that actually doesn't work from what I can tell is the IIS 7 event handlers. However, that doesn't seem to keep it from running. Even the gadgets work as PowerShell can display them as floating windows instead.

All in all, definitely pretty neat so far!