This project is read-only.

Unable to launch web site

Topics: Setup / Configuration, Web site
Feb 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM
Hi all,
I need your help after spending too many hours on trying to solve the problem mentioned below:
I successfully installed DinnerNow on VISTA, but when I launch web site I get the following error:

Server Error in '/DinnerNow' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot open database "AspNetDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "AspNetDB" requested by the login. The login failed.

Source Error:

Line 53: // Get the current user. If the user is logged in, then display the username.
Line 54: // ...Otherwise display the login section.
Line 55: MembershipUser user = Membership.GetUser();
Line 56:
Line 57: if (user != null)

Source File: c:\DinnerNow25\solution\DinnerNow - Web\DinnerNow.WebUX\LoginControl.ascx.cs Line: 55

I don't understand why application is trying to access AspNetDB and not DinnerNow
Anyway, I supplied NETWORK SERVICE user full control everywhere I could but it doesn't seem to help.
I would appreciate any suggestion or/and help

Thanks a lot,
Gugita

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:39 PM
You need to make sure that NETWORK SERVICE has permissions in the database.

A few things to try

• Check the NETWORK SERVICE has read/write file permissions to the database.
  • Check the NETWORK SERVICE account has permissions to use the database. You can use the SQL Management tools to figure this out.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

gugita wrote:
Hi all,
I need your help after spending too many hours on trying to solve the problem mentioned below:
I successfully installed DinnerNow on VISTA, but when I launch web site I get the following error:

Server Error in '/DinnerNow' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot open database "AspNetDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "AspNetDB" requested by the login. The login failed.

Source Error:

Line 53: // Get the current user. If the user is logged in, then display the username.
Line 54: // ...Otherwise display the login section.
Line 55: MembershipUser user = Membership.GetUser();
Line 56:
Line 57: if (user != null)

Source File: c:\DinnerNow25\solution\DinnerNow - Web\DinnerNow.WebUX\LoginControl.ascx.cs Line: 55

I don't understand why application is trying to access AspNetDB and not DinnerNow
Anyway, I supplied NETWORK SERVICE user full control everywhere I could but it doesn't seem to help.
I would appreciate any suggestion or/and help

Thanks a lot,
Gugita

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM
Hi daiken,

Thanks for your post. I did grant NETWORK_SERVICE permissions to the database and finally the website is coming up, but now all I can get is the main page. Each link I select results with: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Of course, all pages exist under website's directory
Any idea?

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM
when you click a link from the homepage, say register. What is the URL that is returning the error?

gugita wrote:
Hi daiken,

Thanks for your post. I did grant NETWORK_SERVICE permissions to the database and finally the website is coming up, but now all I can get is the main page. Each link I select results with: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Of course, all pages exist under website's directory
Any idea?

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:35 AM
I get the same URL I was asking for. E.g. if I am pressing "cart" I get the URL "http://localhost/DinnerNow/Cart.aspx" with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" mesaage inside

Thanks!

daiken wrote:
when you click a link from the homepage, say register. What is the URL that is returning the error?

gugita wrote:
Hi daiken,

Any idea?

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM
I'm getting the same error...
Any Idea?

Thanks.

gugita wrote:
I get the same URL I was asking for. E.g. if I am pressing "cart" I get the URL "http://localhost/DinnerNow/Cart.aspx" with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" mesaage inside

Thanks!

daiken wrote:

gugita wrote:
Hi daiken,

Any idea?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM
If you open the web solution in Visual Studio 2008 (dinnerNow-web) and hit f5, does it run the app?

jsanchez wrote:
Any Idea?

Thanks.

gugita wrote:

Thanks!

daiken wrote:

gugita wrote:
Hi daiken,

Any idea?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:59 AM
When I try to open the solution in VS 2008 I get the following error: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException" and DinnerNow.WebUX project is not loaded... Any idea?

daiken wrote:
If you open the web solution in Visual Studio 2008 (dinnerNow-web) and hit f5, does it run the app?

jsanchez wrote:
Any Idea?

Thanks.

gugita wrote:

Thanks!

daiken wrote:

gugita wrote:
Hi daiken,

Any idea?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:51 AM
I have the same problem (run on w2008 web server)

gugita wrote:
When I try to open the solution in VS 2008 I get the following error: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException" and DinnerNow.WebUX project is not loaded... Any idea?

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:21 PM
The same problem came to me too. You can simply skip the error by changing the value of UseIIS node to false in the project file (.csproj).

Anyway, I've already removed DinnerNow completely from my machine because this is the most awful .net sample application I've ever seen. The errors occurred everywhere, ranging from openning the solution with VS2008, building the projects to running .bat files and opening the website, let alone the missing files and outdated documents.

Geez, didn't you guys have any QA work before releasing? The sample application was supposed to help developer learn how to use new technology in .net 3.5 instead of how to make proper configurations and debug building errors.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Please help me out here so I can make this not the most awful .net sample application you have ever seen.

What specific errors did you get when trying to open the solution with VS2008?
I realize you no longer have it installed so anything you can remember would be most helpful.

What errors did you get building the projects? Did a specific project fail to build? Can you remember any errors?

What .bat files failed? Was it part of the installation, or something else?

What files did you think were missing?

What documents are outdated?

Can I also ask which OS you installed on, which version and SKU of VS2008 were you using?

Please do provide us with something other than a flame. I am sorry you have had a bad experience, and would like to work to make future experiences for you better.

abedon wrote:
The same problem came to me too. You can simply skip the error by changing the value of UseIIS node to false in the project file (.csproj).

Anyway, I've already removed DinnerNow completely from my machine because this is the most awful .net sample application I've ever seen. The errors occurred everywhere, ranging from openning the solution with VS2008, building the projects to running .bat files and opening the website, let alone the missing files and outdated documents.

Geez, didn't you guys have any QA work before releasing? The sample application was supposed to help developer learn how to use new technology in .net 3.5 instead of how to make proper configurations and debug building errors.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Which version of Windows 2008 are you using? Is it the RTM version?

silhavypetr wrote:

gugita wrote:

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM
I am using W 2008 web server 32 bit RTM + visual studio 2008 (RTM) profesional an sql 2005 express

daiken wrote:

Which version of Windows 2008 are you using? Is it the RTM version?

silhavypetr wrote:

gugita wrote:

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Hi,

all your guys have done a very good job.

I installed dinnernow.net successfully...

Thanks
Tai
Mar 6, 2008 at 10:58 PM
"System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException" and DinnerNow.WebUX project is not loaded here also. (and the reason I am opening it is when I try to select a food nothing happens - it doesn't get added to shopping cart)

On 3 day old install of Windows Vista 32bit with SP1 and VS Team System 2008.

P.S. The depency check is pretty broken as well - it checked i had IIS - but not that I had asp.net (which I didn't) - hence failed and ultimately I went for a system restore...
Mar 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2008 at 3:23 PM
I hope the following will help (I feel the same as abedon)
I have identified 2 problems
1- The DinnerNow.ServiceHost projet cannot be loaded in VS 2008 (version 9.0.21022.8) : when I try to reload it, I get the following error box:
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
OK

However this project can be loaded in VS 2005 (hope this is a precious hint).

2- The Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.LoadTestFramework dependency of the DinnerNow.Services project cannot be found : Where does this dll come from so I can install it on my machine ?

Well I hope someone will be able to help me proceed.

daiken wrote:

I realize you no longer have it installed so anything you can remember would be most helpful.

What errors did you get building the projects? Did a specific project fail to build? Can you remember any errors?

Can I also ask which OS you installed on, which version and SKU of VS2008 were you using?

Please do provide us with something other than a flame. I am sorry you have had a bad experience, and would like to work to make future experiences for you better.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Hi, thanks for the info.

I think i have an idea why this may happen, before i jump in, can you let me know which OS you have, and also which SKU of Visual Studio you have installed? (Professional, Team System) also if you can, can you tell me which peices of Visual Studio are installed? you can find out this by loading the setup and making a list of which options are checked.

This would be very useful and help me recreate the problem.

Thanks

jacquesRollando wrote:
1- The DinnerNow.ServiceHost projet cannot be loaded in VS 2008 (version 9.0.21022.8) : when I try to reload it, I get the following error box:
Microsoft Visual Studio
OK

2- The Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.LoadTestFramework dependency of the DinnerNow.Services project cannot be found : Where does this dll come from so I can install it on my machine ?

daiken wrote:

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:55 PM
Hi daiken !

My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate (upgrade from XP Pro)
What does SKU mean ?
By the way I installed VS 2008 Team System
And I think I installed all pieces of VS (but I'm not quite sure, please look behind)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5
Installed Edition: Enterprise
Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 91904-270-7708346-60489
Microsoft Visual C# 2008 91904-270-7708346-60489
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 91904-270-7708346-60489
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office 91904-270-7708346-60489
Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition 91904-270-7708346-60489
Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 91904-270-7708346-60489
Crystal Reports AAJ60-G0MSA4K-68000CF
Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008
Microsoft Popfly Explorer 1.0 Beta Version 1.0.30212.0

PS
I have both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed on my computer.

daiken wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info.

I think i have an idea why this may happen, before i jump in, can you let me know which OS you have, and also which SKU of Visual Studio you have installed? (Professional, Team System) also if you can, can you tell me which peices of Visual Studio are installed? you can find out this by loading the setup and making a list of which options are checked.

This would be very useful and help me recreate the problem.

Thanks

jacquesRollando wrote:
Microsoft Visual Studio
OK

daiken wrote:

May 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Edited May 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM
I've the same problem to launch web site...
How can I set web site to use the database ( ASPNETDB ) ?
web.config line 29:
<add name="CardSpaceMembership" connectionString="Data Source=DinnerNow;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=AspNetDB;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
Do I need to change something... ?