DinnerNow.net development and support Petition (READ)

Topics: Architecture, Delivery Application, Kiosk Application, Management (PowerShell), Setup / Configuration, Web site
Sep 2, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Edited Sep 2, 2008 at 12:03 PM
This is a petition to the DN team to let us know whether they will continue releasing and/or supporting DN.  While a great idea to showcase the latest MS technologies, DN is far from being a stable release.  The documentation is inadequate, it's a hit or miss if the installation works, and many of us are puzzled why there is no 64bit support. 

So, please rely to this discussion if you would like to hear from the dev team.
Sep 3, 2008 at 10:47 PM
I woud like to see development continue.   It seems like a great concept but then looks like everyone moved on to other things...

I, too, find that the installation is crappy and doesn't work most of the time. 

Documentation is weak.  Yeah, there are a few videos and PDF files on various modules... but what the heck.

This seems to me to be another Microsoft marketing blitz that got a lot of fan-fare for their events tour and Channel9... and that's about it.

Dan, where are you?  Where is the rest of your team?
Sep 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM
I agree.  this could be a great showcase for MS technologies but like many other sample apps that have been developed, it is incomplete and then drops out of sight when the next big thing comes along.
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2008 at 2:44 AM

All,

Thanks for all your feedback. First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Habib Heydarian and I'm a Program Manager on the Visual Studio team. The areas of Visual Studio that I work on are the debugger, profiler, code coverage, AppVerifier and pretty much anything else that helps you debug and troubleshoot your code.

I've been using DinnerNow for a little while for doing demos, testing, etc. After talking with David Aiken, I decided to get onboard this project and continue moving it forward. Before I go on, I would like to set some expectations. Previously, there were 5 people working on this project. Now there's going to be just me. Hence, I'm going to focus on the highest priority features and go from there.

To begin with, I'm working on version 3.0 of DinnerNow which will include these features:

• Support for Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
  • Support for SQL Server 2008
  • A few critical bug fixes

At the same time, I'm putting together a backlog of features that I want to start working on for the version after 3.0. If you have any suggestions for features or fixes, please feel free to share and I will add them to the backlog.

Thanks for having me here.

Habib Heydarian
Program Manager Lead
Visual Studio

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:06 AM
This application has such great potential.

It seems a shame for it to fall by the wayside.

Looking forward to seeing what Habib can do.

Regards

Todd
Sep 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Great news Habib

I refer to dinnernow for the latest MS technologies and concepts so if anything new that comes along can be considered for this that would suit me.

Any architectural overview documentation would be a bonus too.