This project is read-only.

DN 3.1 Sql 2008 Express Setup

Topics: Setup / Configuration
Aug 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Per this blog: http://www.3of6.com/wordpress/?m=200806, I had to follow the excerpted instructions below plus EXEC sp_addrolemember 'db_owner', 'BUILTIN\Users'

in order to get database access for the DinnerNow application run off a sqlexpress 2008 database. 

Login failed for user ‘NT AUTHORITY\IUSR.

I finally succeeded in resolving this issue on my second day with uncounted changes that I hope I can undo for fear of opening my machine to some kind of attack. I’m not an expert at setting up SQL Express or IIS7 and I was hoping I would not have to be just to start learning how to write ASP.NET based web applications. To my best understanding, the behavior of SQL Express when installed with VS2008 is different than previous versions. Prior versions inherit users from the windows environment, now you will need to manually enable user privileges (this is to improve security) in SQL Express using ”Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express,” a separate but free download found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c243a5ae-4bd1-4e3d-94b8-5a0f62bf7796&displaylang=en

Solution:

Once the database server manager tool is installed and running, it will detect the SQL server and ask you if you wish to log on. Click connect and expand the security folder in the ”object browser”. Expanding the sub folder called ”Logins” will reveal a list of users. Double click ”BUILTIN\Users” brings up a dialog box of user properties. In that new window, select ”User Mapping” from the upper left corner box. In the upper half right side of the dialog box there should be a list of databases. Select the check box of the databases you wish this user to use.  In the lower right section of the dialog box, is a list of roles to assign the user. For the time being, I just selected the role called ”public.” Click OK to close the dialog box and close SQL Server Management Studio.