This project is read-only.

Quickstart Lab - Developing dynamic web sites with Ajax, WCF, and Linq - Released!

Topics: Web site
Feb 10, 2007 at 11:33 PM
We have released a new lab for the DinnerNow.net sample application. Here is the abstract from the lab:

In this lab you will learn how you can use LINQ, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and ASP.NET AJAX to create dynamic, data-driven Web sites.

You will follow the procedures to create a data access layer that uses LINQ. You will then build a WCF Web service that exposes data from the data access layer. Finally, you will create an ASP.NET Ajax Web client that consumes the Web service and displays the information in a responsive manner.

This lab is comprised of three parts:

1. Creating a developer-friendly data access layer with LINQ
2. Exposing data to clients as a WCF service
3. Creating a rich and responsive UI with ASP.NET AJAX

Download the lab

After you download and use the lab, please share your feedback so we can continue to improve this content.

Feb 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM
Hi,
Could it be possible to get the documents wihtout change trackings? Current documents for LINQ, WCF and AJAX contains the tracking of the last changes on them. The main one is OK.
Kind regards,
Jose
Feb 12, 2007 at 12:05 AM
Yes, I just posted another version with the final XPS documents (without track changes).

James
Feb 14, 2007 at 5:43 PM
Hi James,
Thanks.
I followed the instructions and almost completed the lab.
May be can be possible in some future to include VS C# code snapins , or the docx files , the problem with the XPS is that the cut and paste doesnt respect the new lines so the code is not easy to read after copying it to VS.
Also in the VM I have the LINQ preview is installed but not showing in the VS project templates, following the instructions works fine but may be we can add a Start/setup PS script to do it automatically.

In the last moment when trying to run the AJAX enabled project I get a missing assembly System.Web.Extensions that is defined as an HttpHandler in the web config file but I dont find anywhere here. From where can I find it?
Kind regards,
Jose
Feb 15, 2007 at 1:53 AM
JSimon:

Thanks for your feedback. We are preparing an update to the labs that will include the Visual Studio code snippets. I've noticed the XPS problem as well.

Regarding the System.Web.Extensions assembly, you can find it in this folder by default (after installing the ASP.NET Ajax extensions):
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025
Feb 15, 2007 at 8:27 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM
Thanks James, looking forward to the new version.
A bit out of topic but , could I get access to the presentation used in the video? I have to present the demo and introduce the labs to our architecture group in a camp by the end of this month and even when it is easy to prepare it from the flow document I got with the material it is difficult to get the same look and feeling. Necesarly some small as the main point is to show the demo not to show a presentation about the demo.
If possible could you send it to me to my windows live mail : jose_Simon at hotmail dot com?
Kind regards,
Jose