This project is read-only.

Where are the files?

Topics: Setup / Configuration
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:12 PM
I have finished installing the msi, but where are the files?
They are not in root of my c drive as the documentation suggests. The installation didn't prompt me where to install the files to.
Feb 15, 2007 at 8:41 PM
The files should be located in c:\Dinnernow after running the MSI. We have opened a work item on our side to allow you to specify the path where you want to install the files. Currently, with version 1.1, the path for the installation and scripts is c:\DinnerNow.

Also, here are the instructions from the readme for 1.1. Did you try these:

After running the DinnerNow.msi package:

1. Double-click on the shortcut on your desktop labeled Start here for DinnerNow. This will build and run the DinnerNow Dependency Checker, which will ensure that all of the dependent components have been installed and configured on your machine.

2. Install and configure all of the components that are not installed or configured properly. You can use the shortcuts in the dependency checker or the links in this document.

3. Once all of the components have been installed or configured, click the Rescan button and if the dependency check passes the Build and Configure button will be enabled.

4. Finally, click the Build and Configure button to build the DinnerNow sample source code. This will also generate shortcuts on your desktop to start the DinnerNow sample application. If for some reason the build fails, please see the section titled “Manually Building DinnerNow.net" in this document.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Yea, I installed on XP and it put the bits on my J: drive, which was an external usb flash drive! I only found it by looking at the desktop shortcut target.

As per WorkItem 28, I figure this must be the "Vista code" on XP issue.

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM
Found them on my G drive. I guess it used whatever drive the msi was located.
Didn't notice the additional shortcut on my desktop. Thanks for the tip.
Feb 16, 2007 at 4:22 AM
Strange. We haven't seen that yet. We will add the ability to specify a path during install.

For now if you can copy the DinnerNow directory to the root of your C:\ drive, then run the following script:
C:\DinnerNow\scripts\Install\StartHere.bat

Let me know if that helps.
Feb 21, 2007 at 3:20 PM

BrianJimdar wrote:
Yea, I installed on XP and it put the bits on my J: drive, which was an external usb flash drive! I only found it by looking at the desktop shortcut target.

As per WorkItem 28, I figure this must be the "Vista code" on XP issue.

As per quote above, it appears that DinnerNow can be installed on non-Vista machines. is this right? how does one get it working on Win Server 2003 and comply with IIS 7 requirement?
Feb 22, 2007 at 7:38 AM

1. Double-click on the shortcut on your desktop labeled Start here for DinnerNow. This will build and run the DinnerNow Dependency Checker, which will ensure that all of the dependent components have been installed and configured on your machine.

Not whining, just some suggestions:

How about a Start menu icon like a normal application?
How about the install MSI program telling me to check my desktop?
How about telling me that PowerShell is required?

Most importantly, how about a "pause" in the batch files so you can see the error messages when it fails?

2. Install and configure all of the components that are not installed or configured properly. You can use the shortcuts in the dependency checker or the links in this document.

And if dependancy checker fails with this:
Building "DinnerNow Dependency Checker"
Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 2.0.50727.42
Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.

c:\DinnerNow\common\DC1\DC1.sln : error MSB4126: The specified solution configuration "Release|MCD" is invalid. Please specify a val
id solution configuration using the Configuration and Platform properties (e.g. MSBuild.exe Solution.sln /p:Configuration=Debug /p:P
latform="Any CPU") or leave those properties blank to use the default solution configuration.
Done building project "DC1.sln" -- FAILED.
An Error Occured building the DinnerNow Dependency Checker
The Dependency checker requires the .net framework 2.0 to be installed.
NOTE: You should also run the dependency checker from an Elevated Command Prompt.
Apr 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2008 at 7:18 AM
On Windows Vista Ultimate:

1. Right-click DinnerNow-25.msi and select Run as Administrator so it has permission to create the C:\DinnerNow25 folder. Otherwise, it dumps everything into C:\.
2. Add /p:Platform="Any CPU" to C:\DinnerNow25\scripts\install\StartHere.bat on the line calling msbuild.

Optional
Set verbosity=diag to get the most detailed logging of msbuild.
Add "pause" to the end of the batch file to check results.

That resolves MSB4126. Let's see what error I run into next...BTW good job, but as a showcase of the latest technologies, these errors detract from the experience.

In Build Dinner Now.bat, use /p:Platform=".NET" to build the SideBar project.

In library.ps1, change the osql aliases to: Set-Alias osql "$env:programfiles (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\Osql.exe"

In library.ps1, update the database restore command to: set-content -Value "Restore Database DinnerNow from disk='C:\DinnerNow25\database\dinnernow.bak' WITH MOVE 'DinnerNownew' TO 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\DinnerNownew.mdf', MOVE 'DinnerNownewUNDERSCORELog' TO 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\DinnerNownewUNDERSCORElog.ldf'" -Path "$env:Temp\RestoreDB.sql"

Replace the UNDERSCORE above with the underscore character. This forum doesn't support displaying the underscore character.

Update library.ps1:line 135, with: Start-sleep -seconds 1.

In C:\DinnerNow25\solution\DinnerNow - ServicePortfolio2\source\DinnerNow.Tests\Workflow.cs:line 135, update the line to: order.OrderItems = o;//.ToList(); to resolve a build error.